Tuesday, January 5, 2010

On a cold winter's day

I remember now why I hated winter. Perhaps it is just my Southern California bones refusing to yield to the chill, or perhaps it is a psychological barrier that prevents me from enjoying it. But, whatever the reason, I do NOT like the cold.
And it is cold today in Mobile. It was in the teens this morning, and threatens to be in the tweens by Friday.
Everything is more difficult (as if it isn't difficult enough already). Kids need extra layers and forget their extra layers. The car takes longer to warm up & go. My skin is dry and itchy. The dog is all static-y. The pool pump requires M's attention. The fountain is frozen. The plants are all frostbit. The line at Starbucks is huge.
Two things, and they are closely linked, keep me from moving to Aruba for the next two weeks.
One, I can try to hurry up some weight loss while still wearing the marshmallow man outerwear. Maybe no one will notice the holiday/stress poundage I have packed on.
Two, all the winter foods are so yummy. Hearty stew. Beefy bolognese. Rich strogonoff. Comforting soups. Ahhhh.
So. Forget one. I will just go ahead and bare my Stay-Pufft-ness to the world come spring. For now, bring on the food. I've got blubber to build.

No comments:

Post a Comment