Monday, April 18, 2011

Where babies come from

E is a voracious reader. Seriously. He earned recognition at school for being only one of two second graders to earn more than 100 Accelerated Reader points. (The average grade level reading book is worth less than 10).

His award was a '100 point club' tee shirt that he has demanded to wear every day. Ew. He has yet to earn any recognition for hygiene.



Since he is always reading, and since he is reading above grade level, and loves it, M and I have pretty much decided he can read what he wants to, provided it is not grossly inappropriate. Harry Potter? Yup. This crazy Cat series, Warriors? I guess. Judy Blume? The 4th Grade Nothing series, but not Are You There, God?





When Barnes & Noble closed in town, they had a massive sale. I bought the kids a jillion books. I bought a thesaurus, even though there's now an Internet, just so they could learn to use it. Besides, E will read it cover to cover like entertainment, and how can THAT not help his vocabulary? I also bought The Children's Encyclopedia of the Human Body.



Last week, E asks me why they call "this" (pointing at his crotch) public hair. I explain that it is pubic, rather than public; and that in fact it is ANYTHING but public.



The next morning, I start to wonder what prompted that random question on a Wednesday. I see the body encyclopedia in his room, and think it must be the source. I scan the index for publ--, rather pub-- hair. Sure enough. There it is.



Above it is 'penis.' I think maybe I can give this a look-see. Page 84 has a doctor's office style cutaway of the male reproductive system. Fully labeled. Useful.



I turn the page. There's the same quality drawing for the female reproductive system. Woah. That's a little more than I anticipated. This is turning out to be a page turner. Next page--a woman's menstrual cycle explained. Um. OK. Flip.

Yup. That's where I thought this chapter was going. "Reproduction occurs when a male sperm fertilizes a female ovum. This occurs during intercourse..."

Yah. Yah. I know the rest.

Apparently, now, so does my eight year old. I've been waiting for more questions, but merciful god, there have not been any yet.

I told M this story, and showed him the book. Page 84: he nods and gives me the "what are you so worried about?" look. Page 86: "well, information was never a problem." Page 88: M's eyeballs get a little big. He finishes brushing his teeth.

Slides into bed, thinking about how he never sees anything resembling pg. 90.

No comments:

Post a Comment