Monday, March 26, 2012

Harriett Homemaker, is that you!?

Some of you are going to think I've jumped on the crazy wagon. 
Maybe you're right.
I've been thinking, reading and  "finding on the Internet" about chemicals in household products.  I've been finding recipes for home made soaps, detergents and cleaners.  While perusing these recipes, I also found a ton of recipes for cheaper versions of products I already use.
Most of my monthly Target trip is (money-wise & physical space wise, anyway) dedicated to cleaners.  Some products I'm crazy brand loyal--Tide, Windex, Finish--and some I'm way less so.  A lot of those products have extra chemicals (especially the Tide, which has softener, fragrance, and brighteners) and some of those chemicals I'm willing to risk because I like the results (specifically Tide and Finish, where I believe the premium brand is worth it for work saved and water conserved.)  Some products are just stupid expensive for what the product I'm getting.
So, I thought I'd brief you with my results of cleaner experimentation.  I'm not going to turn this into one of those condescending cleaner woman blogs that tell you what 14 drawers you should be organizing today.  But, if I try out a recipe, I'll let you know.  If it's worth the extra effort over the cost, if it works as well as the original, if the ingredients are easy to find, you know.  As summer comes up, it's a good time to experiment--plenty of time and waaaay less laundry detergent required!
Friday, I cleaned all the inside windows.  Since there are 24 windows and many of the upstairs windows have to be washed exterior as well (no access without ladder!) it's a big job.  I used a spray bottle of home made Windex, a microfiber rag, and a new squeegee.

For the Windex:  1/8 C ammonia, plain, non sudsing  1.4 C rubbing alcohol 1/4 tsp dish washing detergent (if you use the blue Dawn, your cleaner will be blue like the original).  You will also need a spray bottle and water.  (Most recipe sites say to use distilled.  I didn't have it.)

The verdict:  I don't know if this has fewer ingredients than thfar superior to bargain brands.  Bargain brands don't use inferior ingredients (I don't think) but they do dilute (it seems).  So I find those watery and streaky.  It matched up pretty well to the original, and because I have all of those ingredients (ammonia for soaking the gas range grates, the alcohol in a first aid kit and the dish washing detergent under the sink) it was super easy and cost effective. Could definitely stop buying Windex.

So, there.  A totally unusual and informative (and useful! WHA?!?) notcinnamon post.

1 comment:

  1. I've used a concoction for all purpose cleaner for the past few years now. I don't even measure, but I mix small amounts of vinegar, Dawn, and then fill with water in a spray bottle. After having my daughter I was worried about what sort of chemicals I was spraying around her. I'm now starting to experiment with carpet fresh and comet replacements with baking soda mixtures. Happy cleaning. :)

    ReplyDelete