Monday, September 14, 2009

From an Alternate Universe

My goodness. What a busy day. I woke up so cheerfully when the alarm clock chimed this morning at 5:00. It was as though I had slept among clouds. I was able to run 3 miles this morning without so much as an ugly thought crossing my mind. My legs carried me, and the uplifting music on the ipod reminded me that indeed, aspiration is inspiration.

By the time I came home, the boys were stirring in their beds. Their angelic lashes sweeping and fluttering on their delicious cheeks. Rise and shine, little ones! How I love waking them and helping them dress and brush their teeth. And this morning, we thought it would be silly to sing songs like Julie Andrews and Dick van Dyke as we dressed. The older one has a charming Cockney voice. Everything went amazingly smoothly this morning. Except, shucks! I stubbed my toes. On days like this, I reconsider our choice to have only two children. It's a daily miracle to watch them grow and change.

After the kids and hubby had left, I tidied up; although they had left hardly any evidence they had whirled through here at all. I started a delicious dinner. I am very excited about it--everyone is sure to love a roasted red pepper and tomato chicken cacciatore. The boys are SUCH adventurous eaters.

After school, everything was organized so well, that all of our extra curricular activities went swimmingly and we had time to spare. A mother at our playgroup was so frazzled--so much to do, so busy, so frenetic. I told her to find her inner Zen and do more with less. Serenity is a daily gift. Although not everyone, sadly, can live their lives with the focus and the inner quiet I am blessed with. In fact, at the little playground after school, I heard some child, clearly unloved, unsupervised and not told every day what a precious little soul he is, playing with my son. That child, making gun noises, and playing so roughly, actually said, "let me go, asshole. I'm here to kill some wookees."

Honestly. Some people are just letting our entire society's fabric rot down to its core. Where are we, if we lack civility, peace, and love for our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment