Monday, September 21, 2009

The Jaws of Ownership

Ok. Home ownership kinda sucks. I'm not complaining, because of course, there are many hundreds of thousands, millions of people who do not have the luxury of complaining. And yes, of course, I am complaining.
It's not just the money. I mean yes, it's the money. Everyone knows it's the money. The payments, the insurance, the maintenance, the unforeseen expense. But, the money is a problem for ownership of everything. I mean car payments, insurance, maintenance. Even renters have unforeseen costs. Spending money is the entry level nuisance.
It's more than the money. It's the life-sucking, time-warping burden of it all. The massive amount of paperwork going in and out. The decision making process, prioritizing, knowing everything, responsibility.
I've said before that to be a good parent and homeowner, one needs to be: an engineer, an architect, a contractor, a handyman, a lawyer, a doctor, an educator, a psychiatrist, a developmental expert, an arborist, a mechanic, a plumber, an IT expert, an air traffic controller, AND possess an encyclopedic knowledge of the world. It's overwhelming, and it's relentless.
I can walk by any square inch of my house and realize there is work to be done: new siding, new pool liner, grout sealing, paint touch ups, weed removal, driveway repair, vacuuming, landscaping, organizing, replacing,updating, cleaning...the list is virtually endless.
Today, for example, I have to call the electrician to fix the bathroom ventilation issue, get an estimate on replacing the kids' bathroom ventilation thing, and fixing the light in S's room, which seems suddenly disconnected from the switch that has historically controlled it. I also had to call the Whirlpool dude to fix my recently deceased, though previously mentioned NEW dryer which won't start. I also have my usual errands to run, and have to walk past the putrefying smell of squirrel decomp from the back yard trash every time I get into the car. I need to reorganize the tools in the carport to make getting to the car easier, and I REALLY ought to hang some pictures before they get broken leaning against the walls.
This being, you know, Monday. It's frustrating. It's enraging. It's completely too much to process. I fixed the boys' commode (sorta), I improved the drainage into the yard during the most recent rounds of torrential rain, I washed ten thousand loads of wash. And there's MORE MORE MORE.
I didn't think it would be like this. I thought that once we moved into a house, there would always be a couple of manageable chores on the "honey-do" list, but I didn't think it would be a ledger of expensive, long-term, irritating big projects. Projects that involve hours on hold, waiting for repair/delivery/maintenance people who couldn't value my time any less. Projects that I didn't make for us to do--things that are just ageing, corroding, wearing out, or fading fast. I thought eventually, the house would just "be."
Right now, I am procrastinating on the next project, which is short and simple: going out to get the mail. There are going to be bills, and reminders, and fees, and more things that require mine or M's attention. Right now, I just want to stare straight ahead, look into the vast newness of the Internet, and forget the mildewing, ageing, eroding, warping, wearing out that is occurring behind me.
Phew. I'm tired just thinking of it all....

1 comment:

  1. You are quickly learning about the true "cost of living" in Alabama. You see...Mildewing, corroding, and eroding are not huge issues to people not living in a swamp. But hey, that house was probably pretty affordable when compared to less swampy parts of the country.

    ReplyDelete