Friday, November 13, 2009

My vacuum bites the dust

Apparently, my current infatuation with my pressure washer has angered my other home appliances. Their jealousy prompts them to act out in outrageous ways: burnt Eggos, leaky fridge, shrunken pants. Bummer.
But one appliance has taken this way too far.
I have a beloved vacuum. Its purchase represented the first time I didn't go to Target and buy the cheapest vacuum on the shelf. It was a Significant Purchase. Dyson Animal. It just sounds fierce. Plus, its purple and turquoise fun-ness puts me in the Miami Vice mood every time I use it. I can do that Phil Collins drum move from the theme song with the cleaning wand.
Its genealogy of 1000 prototypes has served it well. Distinguished British heritage, never loses suction, distinctive cousin of the highly effective Airblade hand dryer, all well tested and proven.
My Dyson has been through it all--dumped out houseplants, coffee grounds, spilled baby talc, disemboweled stuffed animals--and yet it still sucks up Legos with no trouble.
Until yesterday.
Yesterday, I was changing the filter (a very necessary part of maintenance and use, per my manual) and a deceptively important piece of the vacuum broke off. Now, the filter doesn't lock into place, and when its never lose suction five cyclone sucker turns on, the crap it sucks blows right out the side.
That's not good.
This is tragedy. Now, I don't know what to do. Do I rebuild the built in vac for my house at God knows what price? Do I buy a new Dyson Animal? Do I invest money in getting this one fixed since it has served me well for nearly a decade? Is it time to move on? Oh, appliance gods of the world, help me seek the answer to my question!
I am setting up a poll. Please vote to help me decide what to do.
http://www.dyson.com/store/product.asp?product=DC28-ANIMAL
Fare thee well, you served me loyally, and I shall miss you.

As we progress out of mourning, here are some other options:
Canister Vacuum (medium grade)
http://www.dyson.com/store/product.asp?product=DC23-MOTORHEAD-US

Or, replace with a more compact model since I no longer have a lot of carpeting:
http://www.dyson.com/store/product.asp?product=DC25-ALLFLOORS

Or, replace with same model we are mourning.

Please vote and help me commune with the appliance gods.