Thursday, March 25, 2010

Democracy: So Easy A Caveman Can Do It?

It's official. Civilization is over. Gone. Done with. We can now go grab our spears and loincloths and find a 2 bed/2 bath luxury cave with a view.
I try very hard not to blog about politics. I respect people's privacy when it comes to their personal and political beliefs. I would hope that others would respect mine.
I don't want this to be a forum for advertising my political beliefs, either. Right now, though, I want every one to SHUT UP. I can't tell if my issues with politics are regional or national or global. I don't know if the poor behavior of my fellow citizens is regional or national. I can't tell, because my view is limited. But, from my standpoint, civilization has crumbled.
We, as a nation, are just plain disrespectful. We couch our disdain for each other in superficial pleasantries, which we abandon readily. We shout at one another, we shout over one another so as to drown out the opposing voice. We dismiss opinion rather than considering it. We hear rather than listen.
This healthcare debate, which finally appears to represent the interest of a narrow majority of the population, has brought out the worst in so many people.
Some among us have decided to be vocal in our discontent by shouting falsehoods and calling one another names. Some have decided to demean the President by refraining from using his title. Some have decided to turn on each other and point fingers of blame. Citizens are hoarding weapons and ammunition for the impending apocalypse or in case of federal weapons laws. They're hoarding their money in case of social programs' failure. From here in Alabama, it appears the End Is Near.

What I see here looks like Neanderthals have taken over the political debate. We have nee-ner nee-ner, my brain cavity is bigger than yours bumper stickers. We have Oh yah? Take this woolly mammoth bone and shove it stickers. We have public temper tantrums and private temper tantrums. We have rumors started in the cave painting room. It's chaos.

While everything falls apart, and while my house is in tatters, I am going to daydream about my new cave. I'm guessing that since we are going to be a family of vegetarians. Not big hunters, us. I want a cave with a natural spring so we can have indoor plumbing. Our cave will be all granite (even the walls and ceilings). We will have a Clooney rug. We will have a steady fire and nicely knitted cat-shed-fur caps. My children will go to cavemangarten and learn the basic subjects of hunting, gathering, and cave maintenance. S can take his TBall bat, club a girl over the head with it and we'll have a feast to celebrate his new bride. E can choreograph our first rain dance. I'll knit and cook and wash everyone's fur wraps. M can go out of the cave each day and teach people to speak instead of grunt.
Cave life will be good. Our friends Betty and Barney can come over for a nice brontosaurus steak. As long as nobody talks politics.

1 comment:

  1. You know, you never saw ridiculously confrontational bumper stickers on those cars that ran "courtesy of [someone's] two feet"...

    We're having the exact opposite experience here, actually. I imagine most of the town knows that Emily and I are pretty liberal-- more liberal than most of the population-- but everyone's been too polite to bring it up. Only one person-- a very old, very conservative woman who used to own a business downtown-- has ever tried to "correct" us regarding our political beliefs. I'm sure there are plenty of Glenn Beck fans (might even be a Michael Moore fan or two), but nobody seems to be spoiling for a fight.

    I wonder if you might have the very worst of big city and small town living where you live? Like, you've got the hardcore conservatism people generally associate with rural areas, combined with the big city problem of everybody being crowded together without much of a sense of community (or perhaps "communal living"-- I'm sure you've got some sense of community); like, the people I work with are the exact same people who coach the little league teams, attend Rotary meetings, and run for town council. We kinda have to get along pretty well if stuff's going to get done around town.

    ReplyDelete