Monday, March 29, 2010

During Normal Business Hours

So, in other news, my washing machine broke. OF COURSE my washing machine broke. Because everything is finally put back in the kitchen, and because I have mountains of dirty laundry, including TBall uniforms and PE uniforms that are to be used today. Because I have NOTHING better to do than to wait for my repair man, who has graciously given me an appointment window of 8AM to 5PM tomorrow.,
8 AM to 5PM is not an appointment window, it is a business day. I booked my "window" online, but had I been able to speak to a real-life actual human being, I would have pointed out that the point of scheduling appointments is to narrow down the entire business day into smaller sections of time for which a person could reasonably expect service. No real, live humans are to be found on the Interwebs.
What if everything ran on the cable-guy/repairman schedule?

"Sure, you may come see the doctor. She'll be in from 8 until 4 on Mondays Tuesdays and Wednesdays. She has surgery on Thursdays and Fridays, but she already has 36 people lined up on those days. Those patients are living in a tent city in the waiting room."

"No, ma'am. I am not late for school. This class runs for an hour--an hour long appointment window, in which I clearly arrived at minute 57."

"Your due date? Your baby is expected some time between January and November! How exciting for you!"

"I understand your emergency. Yes, please keep giving CPR. Help is on the way. The ambulance will be there soon. I expect them to get there between 6 minutes and 120 minutes."

"Say cheese. Now hold it for the next 17 minutes."

"Thanks for tuning into NBC. Conan or Leno will be coming on within 4 hours of prime time."

"Glad you could join me at Notcinnamon. Next blog will be posted when I have something to say."

No comments:

Post a Comment