Monday, October 18, 2010

Turkeys, crows, chickens and other birds

Have you been wondering about where I've been? I know you're missing me and the shining light of humor I bring to you every morning.

I have been sucked into the vortex of the iphone. I haven't been online with my computer since I got it. I have turned into one of those antisocial freaks peering into the nanoscreen of my iphone to get my news, email, weather, world-goings on, games, entertainment and life resources in general. Sad, but true.

Even in the fog of technology, however, I did enjoy the company of my family, however briefly.

S came home with a good story last week. At school, they played a variation of capture the flag. Only I guess they play it with a rubber chicken?! When S's team won, he demonstrated the score with his fingers: one to zero. He was crowing about his team's success, and I suspect he was probably not exhibiting the best of sportsmanship.

However, instead of using pointer man to illustrate one, he used tall man. And for those of you without kids, that means he gave the losing team the finger.

After regaling us with the victorious tale of capturing the chicken, and his flaunting of the score, we asked him why he used his middle finger instead of his pointing finger.

He says, ever so nonchalantly, "I flipped them the bird."

Why, yes you did, young man. "Do you know what that means?"

No. But just like a chicken, you know, bird?


Hmm. Yes. Indeed. However, in our culture, flipping some one the bird is a really obscene thing to do. It's like saying a dirty word. Like, sometimes when you want to curse or swear at some one and maybe they can't hear you, you can say the obscene message with your middle finger.

Like f#$( you?

Exactly. (How lovely that my child can just blurt out that sentiment). Pointing the middle finger is like saying f&^* you. In fact, it is saying that without using words. Everyone in our culture understands that gesture to mean f&*^ you.

Hmmm.

Now, I feel as though I have armed little S. Not only with knowledge (I am sure he's heard the expression like a million times) that he can share with his mini cohorts; but also with a certain power. It's kind of alarming. Like having a small nuclear device in the trunk of your car.

Let's hope he uses his new found power for good, rather than evil. Although he has been so mischievous lately, it would not surprise me at all for him to get caught flipping the bird at another losing squad. But, also it would not surprise me at all for him to look up at the disciplinarian with wide, pathetic eyes a la Puss in Boots from Shrek, and say, who, me? I was just showing them the score. How could THAT be naughty?

That kid is trouble. f#$%

1 comment:

  1. My fingers don't even bend like that. I prefer the verbals. My sister sent me a letter talking about the school she teaches at and the 3rd graders are 'excessively hugging'. So she is going to have to enforce that this doesn't happen. Only this could be a NoCal problem.

    ReplyDelete