Sunday, July 13, 2008

Sunday Evening

Holy crap. It's hot out. Really hot. We scarfed down some pizza for lunch. It has been a long 10 days of house guests and I have consumed more adult beverages than usual. I feel like I need to drink nothing but water for a month.
We went to E's new school this afternoon for a new student social. Why does everyone in Mobile already know each other? Why do all the moms look like they got dressed at the sorority this morning? They all look so young. Their husbands also have the recent frat boy look, though somehow the men look a little softer and paunchier than they presumably did in college. Otherwise, it was a pleasant and short enough exercise. We talked to some friendly people, which is always encouraging. Disappointing, though was the full outline of fundraising activities for the year and no mention of the basics: what day does school start? Is there a way to coordinate carpools based on neighbors? Shouldn't there be a pamphlet to cover the FAQs? Is this the first time you've had new students?
Also, as it turns out, I'm computer illiterate. A side effect of being over 30, no doubt. My knowledge is archaic. I can use the guide words on the top of a dictionary page. I can navigate a card catalog. I can barely set up a facebook account. This is something every third grader in the country can do. It's startling to see your painful unpopularity appear on your screen when you log in. I have 2 "friends." Crap. This whole network of finding people idea is depressing. I had fewer than 2 flesh and blood friends in high school, and I have the grim discovery that the people in high school who had a hundred real world friends still do. So, now here I am, 30 something years old watching all the popular kids socialize again. While I press the refresh button, hoping someone will Pleeeeeeeeeeeease be my friend. Again.
What is the cyberequivalent of low self esteem? I used to eat a whole can of whip cream. Is there a feeling depressed emoticon? A virtual nerd table in a virtual lunchroom? I spent the last fifteen years, a ton of time in therapy, all of college and several boyfriends overcoming the trauma of high school, only to stumble back into the middle of a pile of steaming insecurity by creating a lousy facebook account.
I need some whip cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment