Monday, June 1, 2009

I Want My Kids' Life

My dad used to say that if there is reincarnation, he wants to come back to life as his kids. I never understood what he meant. I mean, we were sometimes in trouble, we had to clean our rooms, we had to eat broccoli and stroganoff (sometimes at the same meal!)--who would want THAT life?
Now, as a parent, I get it. And I want to be reincarnated as my kids. This week, I am introducing myself as Julie, the Cruise Director from the Love Boat. The most immediate similarity between me and Julie, the Cruise Director from the Love Boat, is that I am always ready to avail myself of the services of Isaac, the Bartender. But on a deeper level, I am coordinating my kids' week like they were paying for an all-inclusive cruise to Puerto Vallarta. Today, they went to summer camp and had swim lessons. Tomorrow, they are going to luncheon at a restaurant of their choosing and see the movie Up! and then have swim lessons. Tuesday afternoon, E's best friend will be coming to the house for a sleepover and swim lessons, and Wednesday, he'll stay here to play with my boys. Thursday, S's beloved girlfriends come over to play, and Friday more friends come over to play. I am the personal assistant and activity planner for the youngest socialites since Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen.
I bought s'mores ingredients and a tent for an at-home camp out. My kids don't even have time to be bored! On the one hand, it's easier to have them on the go with their friends than it is to sit inside at home with them. But, on the other, it takes a lot of energy to coordinate, schedule, and pay for every summer activity known to man.
But it's all good, because their daily signs of gratitude make every second worth while. Oh, no wait....

1 comment:

  1. I told someone yesterday that I was too busy to a task for them. They stated why what do you have going on. I just laughed. Four kids at my house everyday this week. I took my two with me to the mall yesterday b/c I had to have a new swimsuit. And it was the only afternoon I wouldn't have all the other kids. I thought I was going to kill someone with that trip. Then we have swim lessons everyday plus other stuff. But no I have plenty of extra time. I mopped last night at 11pm b/c it was the only free hour to do it without kids everywhere. Is Summer over yet?

    ReplyDelete