Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Missing the Show

I once read a short story by Kurt Vonnegut, maybe, called "All Summer in a Day." I read it in elementary school when schools still wanted kids to read, in a program called Junior Great Books. In any event, the summary of the story is essentially this: humans have colonized another planet, and it rains on this planet every day, all day and night. Most of the kids in the protagonist's class don't care about the rain, because they were born on the alien planet. But the protagonist remembers life on Earth, and misses the sun and playing outside. One day a year on the alien planet, rain stops for one day. The protagonist's mean classmates lock him in a closet, and he misses the one day of sunshine and playing outside.
Some story to give to a fifth grader to read, eh?
In any event, last night was the Leonid meteor shower, one of the best meteor showers on Earth. It happens every August, and last night the peak of the shower occurred.
Every year, I wait for the Leonid shower. Every year, I peak outside, brave the mosquitoes and look to the heavens. Some years it rained. Some years, it was cloudy. Some years, there was a full moon outshining the meteors. Some years, we lived in urban areas so light polluted that the stars were obscured. Last night, though, was the lamest excuse for not seeing the Leonids EVER.
I went to bed, thinking of the meteor shower, making a mental note to go outside whenever I woke up for my midnight potty break. (Yet another benefit of children--I can no longer sleep through the night without having to pee.) At 2 AM, I was awake, but not for the meteors. I was awake, because the whole night, my arms and shoulders ached from the Grouting of the Bathroom. I got up, got Advil, and returned to bed, so preoccupied with my burning elbow joint, that I forgot altogether about the meteor shower.
I'll try again tonight, and I'll look to the meteorological sites to see if the show continues tonight...otherwise...I wait another year. Sniff.

No comments:

Post a Comment