Tuesday, July 14, 2009

What's Your Mantra?

I read an article yesterday outlining how to survive--even enjoy--your family road trip. I find survival probable, however, I am still skeptical of enjoyment. It seems to me, that when we were young, and we took many family road trips, that the only way to survive was to sleep. Nowadays, kids have the DVD player, and the handheld game players, and even (as the article suggested) iphones to load up with things to do, that I can't imagine that survival is that hard. After all, how many hours can a family drive in a day? Maybe 8 or 10? My kids could easily go zombie in front of an electronic babysitter for that long.
MT and I drove for only 4 hours last week each way. The way up was easy--DVD, stop at Chic Fil A to get the antsy pants out, and we were there. No problem. For whatever reason (mostly I think logistical) we didn't put out the DVD on the way home. I thought for sure that after S's restless night of kicking me in bed, and the late bedtime, and the early rising, combined with a full 4 hour walk around the zoo in the heat, that four kids would get into the backseat of the car and pass out.
Wrong.
Those kids talked, played games, fought, hassled, complained, wrestled stuffed animals, listened to music, and asked incessant questions the whole way home. At the last exit, S started getting really restless. I said "shit" as I was changing lanes to exit the highway for the last little stretch home, and S started repeating it. Like a mantra, "shit shit shit shit shit shit" until the other 3 joined him. By the time we pulled into the driveway, the kids had established a harmonious little round, and I thought MT was going to pee herself from laughter. I guess it takes only four hours of being constantly peppered with questions to go insane. Has anyone talked to Dick Cheney about this enhanced travel technique?

No comments:

Post a Comment