Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Things that go Blah! in the night.

What the hell? Today is being strange. I had all these big pre-mom visit plans, and they are steadily running down the toilet. It's already 10 AM. I was supposed to have (per my list) washed the floors, done laundry, mailed my sister's birthday present, cleaned out the fridge, and run. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Not done.
But, I have been sitting here, rocking out to Neil Diamond (Do NOT judge me) and thinking about Halloweens past.
I freaking hate Halloween. More than any other holiday, religious or otherwise. I hate it. Loathe. Detest. Abhor. Even more than all the pepto bismol pink of Valentine's Day and overly commercial Christmas. More than jingoist Fourth of July or intoxicated St. Pat's. More than the overly important Hannukah, and the only recently added Kwanzaa. More than the frilly, floppy Easter, or the age-old Passover.
Actually, apparently, I only like Thanksgiving, for the record. Which is true. I love Thanksgiving. I loved watching football with all the men in the family while my mom and grandma washed a million dishes. I loved sitting at the kiddie table with my uncle. I loved stuffing. I love mashed potatoes. I love dark meat on the turkey. I love the rolls my grandma used to make for us. I love the smell. I love the no-gift, no-problem experience. I love that every one is welcome anywhere. That's there's always enough. And more. For almost every one. On one day, there is enough for everyone.
Anyway, sorry for the rather sappy aside. Halloween is a problem for me. For one thing, I never had the right imagination for costumes. Like sometimes, not enough imagination: the year I wore the plastic Garfield costume. Sometimes, too much: the year I wore a black leotard with adhesive stars and was The Universe. Sometimes, misplaced: the year I was a 'punker' and everyone thought I was a hooker. Sometimes, overly executed: too-creepy witch when all my friends were good witches. Anyway. Almost every year, hell. I hated picking a costume. I hated whatever my mom bought. (Even if it was what I wanted). I hated trying to make a costume (how did that one kid make Storm Trooper so awesome out of TP rolls?) I hated that never in my entire childhood did we have one trick-or-treater at our house. We lived at the top of this steep hill that was unlit and spooky on the best of nights. Somebody REALLY had to want to come up there. No mini Milky Way was worth the trip, believe me.
We sometimes went trick or treating at a friend's neighborhood. Once in my grandma's neighborhood. But my parents had this (completely accurate) argument that we could have candy whenever we wanted. Why go beg for it? True. How to counter that? It all went bad anyway. We forgot about it, or my mom ate the ones with the nuts, or whatever. After we had it, we didn't care. So we traipsed around the neighborhood in the cold and the dark, begging for candy we didn't eat all of, or lame ass stickers we didn't want. I can NOT buy into the Halloween experience. Even now, I want my kids to have the perfect costumes. (They are Red Power Ranger and Buzz Lightyear). I want them to enjoy it. But with M. He'll take them out. Meh.
The only good costume, in my entire life--EVER--was when I was pregnant with one of the kids. I bought a cheerleader costume that you could iron on whatever school name you wanted on the shirt. My cheerleader costume was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too small. My giant belly hung out. My shirt said "SLUT." That costume rocked. One. In thirty something years.
So, trick or treat, y'all.
Bah, Humbug.

5 comments:

  1. That was depressing and sad. I love Halloween because it is the most Pagan of holidays. Especially when I got older and the mischief began. My kids love getting dressed up. They love gorging on candy until I take it away. I usually let them keep chocolate (for me) then recycle the other crap back to the trick or treaters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you are a scrooge! I love Halloween and cannot wait until my kids are old enough to appreciate the cult horror films I was weaned on: Friday the 13th (1-4 only), Nightmare on Elm St, Amityville Horror, Rosemary's Baby, the Exorcist....you get the idea. P.S. I have you beat on early bedtimes: I was in bed, asleep by 7:45 last night. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At me to the list of those who love Halloween. I'm actually really psyched that we finally live in a house, in a neighborhood where we'll get trick-or-treaters.

    And that cheerleader costume was awesome. Did you win a prize for that one? You should have, if you didn't. We have a picture of you and Michael from that party, somewhere around here. If you want, I'll try to find it to send it you so you can make it this year's Christmas card...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly where that picture is ... I think I might have even scanned it in. (Geez ... I used film for so much longer than necessary). It was the greatest costume ever ... (That party was actually a good party for costumes -- you guys were excellent; M & K and company were good with their muppets costumes; E & D as James Joyce and Molly Bloom ... but the cheerleader ... by far the best one).

    Incidentally, my favorite holiday is Easter. I am not a fan of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just raving about that cheerleading costume to someone a few days ago. One of the best.

    ReplyDelete