Monday, October 6, 2008

Weekend Illness

When my children are sick, I nurse them. I try to ease their discomfort. Decongestant doses never lapse. Fevers are checked. Snuggles, stuffies, blankets are delivered on command. Cool Gatorade is delivered regularly to my little TV-bound ailing babies.
And then I get sick. Thursday night I felt iffy. Maybe the debate put me over the edge. Friday morning I felt awful. My leaden head muddled through the fog of congestion. My neck and muscles ached. My sinuses felt as though they would burst. Fever and chills. Killer cold.
But Friday was the Blessing of the Animals at E's school. Had to have Clooney go sit on Santa's lap and be blessed. Maybe that wasn't Santa. That would explain something right there. I stood in line with my little E as he strangled, squished and manhandled poor Clooney. I stood with my friend, MK who bravely packed two overgrown rodents into a shoe box for their blessing. They squeaked in protest and shock. So, eventually, we got blessed. I guess. I missed that part. MK and I took our relieved pets home.
Then, later, I gathered all of my hand assembled little loot bags for E's birthday party, picked up the cake (personally ordered, I'll have you know!), and delivered everything to the party petri dish place (which smelled terrific. They either knew I was coming and soaked the place with Febreeze or actually keep it clean! What a concept!) Came home, napped. Picked up S, picked up pizzas and was ready (?) to party. My head was pounding. My eyes hurt. My ears hurt. I hurt.
Half of the people I invited did not RSVP, or show. At all. I was unamused. My cold left me less tolerant than usual. Every guest at the party had his own pizza. It wasn't a total loss, though. MK won the ticket jackpot with only one token! Awesomeness. I especially liked the way her son was completely unimpressed. All the grown ups loved it, and her son: meh. E and S ate cake for the rest of the weekend. We played with new toys and read new stories. I hope those other kids are jealous of the attendees' goody bags!
ANYWAY, while all this is going on, I still have my head cold. We came home and de-partied with a nice quiet movie. Then I was in bed by 7. I slept whenever I could on Sat (thanks, M). I took a nap on Sun (thanks, M). I did laundry. Snooze. I watched a quarter of football. Snooze. Bought E new shoes. Snooze. Read about Halloween crafts. Snooze.
This morning, my tummy hurts. The congestion seems to be on its way out. Made lunch. Made breakfast. Let dog poop. Dressed S. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

3 comments:

  1. Poor J. Hope your head clears soon. And stay away from me until it is all gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a fun-filled weekend...yuk. glad you're on the mend.

    ReplyDelete