Monday, October 27, 2008

This is OnStar. How May I Help You?

I have an invention. Now I need engineers and big thinkers to make it happen. Actually, it's an improvement on the existing technology of OnStar. Have you heard the ads for OnStar? The car wrecks, and a pleasant voice is beamed into the car, "are you hurt? Emergency vehicles are on the way. I will stay with you until they arrive."
As I left the house today, all the beds unmade, breakfast dishes in the sink, toys on the floor, laundry in Himalayan peaks in the hall, I thought, I could be in a serious accident. This is what my house will look like when I'm bleeding on the side of the road. So, enter my invention. When my car hits a tree, a soothing voice will be beamed into the car. "Are you hurt? Emergency crews are on their way. Maids will be arriving at your house shortly to tidy, wash, take out your trash, put your dirty undies in the hamper, and wipe out your sinks. They will handle the worn pull ups in the bathroom, and make all your beds. Don't worry. I will stay with you."
Otherwise, when the CSI enter my house (the lesser known series CSI: Mobile starring Andy Griffith as chief) this would be the conversation:

CSI Griffith: What do you think?
CSI Delta Burke: Looks like she left in a hurry.
CSI Griffith: Yup, maybe some one else was here. They tore the place up looking for something.
CSI Delta Burke: We got a mystery, dahlin.
CSI Griffith: Or a MYSTERIOUSLY bad housekeeper. (Looks at camera and removes sunglasses)
(Dum de dum.)

So, my new OnStar device will spare me from that embarrassment. I would seriously rather bleed from a nasty head wound than have police see my house as it is now. AND I CLEANED YESTERDAY. No one picks up. E's room look like a bomb went off at the Comic Book Convention. There are Marvel, Transformer, Star Wars, and assorted Other body parts, action figures, and accessories all over. S's room has used (but not dirty) pull ups from yesterday and today on the floor. My room has laundry (clean and dirty) in sorted heaps ready to be washed/put away. My kitchen has suffered from this morning's oatmeal feast and lunch packing activities. Plus, there was a cockroach in my flour this morning, which necessitated an emptying out of that cabinet. As if wiping it all down removes the memory of that giant bug walking around in a nearly-sealed ziploc. *Shiver*
"Ma'am, the maids were wondering if you'd like them to iron. Also, we have contacted Stanley Steamer. Apparently, your carpet is excessively dirty. Do not worry. The nearest Stanley Steamer is only 4 blocks from the site. I will take care of that for you."

Oh. blissful technology.

4 comments:

  1. If I am bleeding on the side of the road, it was because I was escaping my messy house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops, deleted my earlier one accidentally.
    K, here's the way I see your situation. If you have gotten in such a bad car accident that the police must enter your home you have either a) died so it doesn't matter what they think because you're dead, or b) suffered a severe head injury hopefully bruising your frontal lobe in which case you'll have no inhibitions so you won't care what anyone thinks! So join the rest of us leave-the-house-in-a-mess types and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh sign me up for the on-star. Actually, I just want a magic wand or a genie in a bottle. Did I mention Genie should be a really hot guy that won't annoy me like my husband?

    ReplyDelete