Friday, October 10, 2008

Tooth Fairies and Other Myths

Is it Friday yet? Oh, crap, it's Friday.
Sometime last night, upon silken wings and silent feet, the Tooth Fairy visited us. E exchanged his first tooth for four quarters and is triumphant! (Yes, ONE dollar. Global Economic Crisis, people.) Hooray. There's something so bittersweet about that lost first tooth...grown up enough to be developing permanent teeth, young enough to believe in fairies. The paradox of childhood. It's sweet.
So, it's Friday. Before a Three Day Weekend. And you think Halloween is scary. My dedicated reader (s?) will know how I feel about extended weekends. This one is going to be a whopper. We are going to see Winnie The Pooh, Live! (The exclamation is party of the title, so that we know it will be awesomely awesome.) Then, we are off to New Orleans to the zoo. We haven't been to the Audubon Zoo before, I understand it is huge. And they have an endangered species carousel. I wonder why they make endangered species take passengers, but you know these are tough times. We will be missing ALL day of college football, and all day of professional football. Which normally only Michael would care about. But this week is special.
It's almost as mystical as the Tooth Fairy. My naive hope against hope. My cynical knowledge of what is to come...
Northwestern is undefeated with more wins than any season since 1962. Additionally, NU received votes for the national rankings, and is #22 in the USA Today Poll. Oh, sweet nostalgia. Of Rose Bowls and taking the Purple to Pasadena. Of bowls other than the Gillette Shaving Basin, or whatever other second rate bowls we've been losing since. It's that rare aroma of victory. So, hopefully, the curse of Chicago does not extend north from Wrigleyville to Evanston. And nobody tell me anything until I get home from Winnie the Freakin' Pooh! to watch my TiVo. I've got the remote under my pillow.

3 comments:

  1. Have fun in NO. I recommend eating breakfast at Cafe Du Monde, lunch at Cafe Maspero and room service for dinner :) You have to be inside at dark because of the vampires. I LOVE the $50.00 carriage rides! You learn a lot about the history of New Orleans, where the movie stars have homes and the kids love it! Also, you can bring coolers into the Audobon zoo and have a picnic. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've been planning a trip there for weeks...haven't managed to actually go. maybe we'll go this weekend and run into you guys! If not, have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just can't believe E has lost a tooth.. I remember when he was just a little glow worm!! Julie

    ReplyDelete