Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Breaking Through

I did it. I finally did it! I went out to coffee this morning with a mom from E's Kindergarten class. She met some friends who were also there to whom she introduced me. And I KNEW ONE! Amazing. I have completed the social circle of Mobile. I am IN.
Actually, that makes two remarkable social events this week. Monday, M took off from work, and we went downtown for breakfast. As we were leaving, we actually ran in to someone we knew. Can you imagine that?
We are the least social people ever, and in fact many of the friends we have now are women I have met through my kids. M knows people from work, but not many from outside. So to meet two people in town at non-child events is remarkable.
Now, two things. I have not cracked the Old Mobile Circle. That is an upper eschelon of super-beings that we mere mortals from out of state can only stare at in awe. Don't get me wrong. I don't begrudge the old Mobile families their elite status, I just don't ever interact with them. They don't want me, and I think we're okay with that arrangement.
Nor, and I want to make this perfectly clear, am I abandoning my vigilant post against the plastic moms. I am not becoming a plastic mom who laments my micro-problems at the cafe. I have found mostly real humans, and am excited about it. Sure, they may drift into the Springhill circle, but they are not permanent residents. I am still anti-plastic mom. Have no fear.
In honor of that position, I will post today the anti-plastic mom anthem:
White SUV (sung to Yellow Submarine)

In this town called old Mobile
There lived some moms from rich Springhill
And they liked their wealth to show
with visors and tennis clothes

So we drive into carpool
Dripping with all of our jewels
And we learn to be aloof
Just riding off to school

We all drive a white suv
White suv, white suv
We all drive a white suv white
suv white suv

If it is a big Yukon or
perhaps a Dena-lee
We have more than we need
In our white suvs

We all drive a white suv
A white suv, a white suv
We all drive a white suv, a
white suv white suv

These are folks who live next door
They think that we eat off the floor
And the children go to Wright
And play the St Pauls way

We all drive a white suv
A white suv, a white suv
We all drive a white suv, a white suv, a white suv

(Full speed ahead Mrs. Parker full speed ahead
Use up the fuel! More fuel more fuel! Consume consume!)

As they live their life of ease
They’re happy with conformity
Hair of blond and faces freezed
By the botox if you please

We all drive a white suv
A white suv, a white suv
We all drive a white suv, a white suv, a white suv

3 comments:

  1. You are on your way! Now you need to look into joining a Mardi Gras Society, they will be glad to take your money. You can go to the balls, and maybe one day E and S can be King of their court and ride on the float! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. if only. I can dare to dream ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually had a couple of faculty at the school tell me I could scam a couple of tickets to some Mardi Gras balls....could you imagine? You could become a double agent for the "regular" folks (ie, us) and tell us all their secrets! :)

    ReplyDelete