Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Gustav is Coming to Visit

Do you remember in the olde days when women would say, "my cousin is visiting" as slang for having a period? Well, Gustav is coming to visit. And it actually seems worse than a period. Hurricane forecasters, including the eminent Joe Bastardi, predict gloom and doom for the Gulf Coast. Being obsessed with weather anyway, I have been visiting accuweather.com religiously. As if the forecast could change minute by minute.
In any event, the forecast does look pretty bad. Probably a category 3 storm. Probably early to mid-week next week. Probably more damage for a coast still not fully recovered from Katrina. It's all bad news.
Not to minimize the bad news, but I can only fixate on one outcome of the storm. Not the safety of my family, not the protection of my house, not the preservation of my personal treasures. I can think only of this: School will be canceled.
Come ON. We just got into the groove of it. This is the first week of school for me. Both my children are finally gainfully occupied for several hours a day in a way that pains me very little. But now, Gustav threatens to send them home with little/no electricity. Hideous heat. Mosquitoes. Trapped in the house. Bored. Waiting. Waiting. Waiting. For how long?
This can't be happening.
Is there a Midol for hurricanes? Stay posted:
http://hurricane.accuweather.com/hurricane/index.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0

3 comments:

  1. My M is obsessed with the national hurricane center website. He studies it in fascination. He was telling me this morning all about water vapor images, etc...Check it out. All kinds of fun stuff to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well possibly better waiting this out then waiting out fire. At least the hurricane thing is usually over in 24 hours. Good luck though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel for you guys. We stayed during Katrina, but then left after it was over to find air conditioning. One good thing about moving to Chicago...no more hurricanes!

    ReplyDelete