Friday, September 19, 2008

The Weakened

Yes. The weakened is nearly here. By Saturday, I am worn down. Anything goes. Bath? Or not. Vegetable? Or not. 23 1/2 hours of TV. Well, 5. On Saturday, I am your woman. I have nothing left in me to shepherd, organize, argue with, or in any other way manage my children.

On Saturday, they are feral.

Saturday is every man for himself. College football? Ok. Laundry? Meh. Dishes? What dishes? I am worn down. Defeated. Exhausted.

Thankfully, my Saturday is free. Of birthdays at the indoor playplace petri dishes, free of classes, errands, butt numbing carpool lines. Free! I declare Saturday to be MINE all MINE. I will not share it. I will not.

I will lounge in my pajamas until I am good and ready to get out of them. I will sip coffee over a crossword puzzle until it is solved. I will bribe, pander, and sell out for quiet. I will be restored. My shower will be long and hot, not frantic and whatever temperature happens to be running when I flip it on. Breakfast will be leisurely. We will not rush. We will not herd the children into the car. We will not.

I will watch Northwestern football, and envy the student crowd its fall rituals. I will envy their youth, their carefree college days, their walk in the crunchy fallen leaves of autumn. I will snuggle Clooney, and play Candyland with S and read with E and savor a lazy day in the present. I will use the pronoun I all day. I want to eat this. I want to watch this. I do not want to go there. I might employ the services of a babysitter. I will be an adult with children instead of a chauffeur, maid, chef, movie turner-onner, and personal slave.

I will have a weekend. Dammit.

3 comments:

  1. You are so lucky...in my neighborhood the doorbell starts ringing at about 9 am, unless it is unlocked then the neighborhood children just walk in. Sometimes they head straight to the fridge. I have become the mean mom in the neighborhood and to my children. As soon as the kids start coming then my children must play out front and then I have to stand out there all day!!! Errrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saturdays are usually our "non bath" days as well. My fav. :) Hope you had a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know you aren't convincing me to have children.

    ReplyDelete