Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Happy Spring!

Religion is the third rail of any relationship, casual or otherwise. As a general rule, I try to avoid discussions for fear of bumbling into the wrong conversation with the wrong person at the wrong time.
The boys, though, are both in religious schools. This is probably not what I originally forecast for my family, but circumstances being what they are, the kids are finding themselves with moral rectitude instruction at their schools.
The part that keeps everything interesting, of course, is that the kids are in different religious schools. The holidays become a mishmash. S's synagogue is talking about Passover. Which leads, naturally, to curious questions and misunderstandings. S has been insistent that we are going to die. (We, being a Jewish family, since Pharaoh is going to strike us down.) He also announced that the reason all the Passover decorations were frogs is because God made "consequences" to the Egyptians. So, between now and Passover, I foresee much consoling and easing of fears of death. Because we're not going to die. Probably.
E, on the other hand, has been carrying a fear of his own on his small shoulders. He asked me what a funeral is, and when I explained, he looked simultaneously relieved and confused. "I thought a funeral is when they nail some one to the cross!" Well, that's more than I'd like to be worrying about.
So, I have just been thinking about this incredible dichotomy of Spring. Spring is out, the weather is turbulent and beautiful, the flowers are bloomy and heady with fresh scent. And the kids are at school talking about all the ways religious figures have died this time of year. Grizzly.

No comments:

Post a Comment