Tuesday, March 24, 2009

In with a roar, out with a whimper

I see my sister about twice a year recently. Her school holidays rarely coincide with ours, and when they do, she (rightly) usually wants to spend them with her husband. This spring break, however, things coalesced nicely so that she was able to spend her spring break with us, my parents, and the kids celebrating S's birthday.
Obviously, I have been in high gear in anticipation of every one's arrival. But my sister arrived, with what we will tentatively call a "bang." She brought with her some germ of apocalyptic virulence. The Germ, so powerful, so easily transmittable, that left in the wrong hands could bring an entire nation to its knees. She brought with her The Germ that immediately turns all of the contents of your intestine into explosive liquid. For at least 4 days. With accompanying bonuses of fever and complete exhaustion. Within 5 hours of arriving at my house, she had hung out a "permanently occupied" sign in front of the bathroom. Within 24 hours of her arrival, so had I. Within 48, so had my dad.
Agony.
I, of course, leaving for Chicago at the end of the week, was terrified that I'd be riding the Blue Ice Pony on the flight from Mobile to Houston and then on to Chicago, but mercifully, The Germ kills your appetite, leaving no fuel for your explosive innards. So, having not eaten from Wednesday through Friday, I was spared any air travel related mishaps.
Chicago is still in fine form, recession be damned. The weather was glorious, the bride was blushing, and the friendship boisterous. It was a great visit.
We just returned Sunday night, and yesterday, drove my parents out to Mississippi for their flight back to sunny SoCal. My dad, still in the squashed appetite phase of The Germ, didn't eat anything. Unfortunately, my mom, unaware that The Germ had infected her, had lunch. The poor woman rode the Blue Ice Pony all the way home.
Thus, the family visit ended on a rather sour note, to say the least. Despite all of my home improvement activities during the weeks (months?) leading up to the family invasion, my dad and I still found projects to putter around with. We rewired a constantly shorting socket and the outdoor lights by the pool. We mostly, though, just lay around the house bemoaning the state of our digestive tracts. Lame-o.
It's good to be home for me, though, and despite the good visit with the family, it is always nice to have the house clean and empty again. I am sure my folks and sister are happy to be restored to the comfort of their own potties, as well. I have already started bleaching the whole house--so if you come by, you might want to wait a day or so.
Now, I am going to stare at some food. I dare not eat anything yet.

1 comment:

  1. Yuck. Poor family. At least the kids didn't get it. Kids with diarrhea not nice.

    I have missed hanging out with you but I can say I do not want to see you until you have been Ebola free for awhile. Yuck Again.

    ReplyDelete