Monday, May 18, 2009

Eyes Wide Open

For more than one hundred and fifty days of school, M or I went into E's room and gently roused him from a deep sleep. We waited until the latest possible time so that he could sleep those precious few moments longer. We gently stroked his face and gave him kisses to ease him into the trauma of yet another school morning. Every morning, he had to be awakened.
Weekends and today, the first day of summer vacation, however, he manages to wake himself at FIVE AM. This morning, he was in my bed "whispering" self congratulatory messages on finally making it to summer vacation at FIVE AM.
Which would have been even more irritating except that his brother, the non-sleeping freak, was already awake, chasing Clooney around my bed at FIVE AM. At one point, the dog was straddling M's sleeping face, and S grabbed two hind feet and pulled the rest of Clooney back over M's face. That could NOT have been pleasant (really, for anyone involved.)
Five AM? Nobody except for like barristas (so that I can go get coffee on such days) and the Krispy Kreme people need to be up at 5 AM. My sister gets up that early to exercise, but that's just unnatural. People can exercise at normal times. Why oh why are my children awake at 5 o'clock? That means they are awake for at 15 hours a day. That's just not right! That amount of time requires WAY too much interaction on my part. I mean aren't there labor laws protecting moms from working horrifically long shifts? Can't we unionize or something? Is this a sweat shop? If it were a sweatshop, I'd wind up with a cute pair of shoes by the end of the day. If I'm working that long, can't I at least be skinny? Can't my metabolism at least offer up a compromise, "look, this fat chick is workin' her butt off. Maybe I could help by taking some of her big butt off."
I remember when the boys were babies. And yes, they were up three fourths of the night, but then, they would nap during the day. They'd be up for two hours then sleep for an hour. Oh, merciful naps, where have you gone? Now, all I can look forward to is the distant teenage day when they want to sleep until noon. I will go into their rooms, and crawl into their beds and start "whispering" to them about what I'm going to do that day.
Especially since, by then, I will be old and like all old people, not require any sleep. Life is cruel.

1 comment:

  1. That can't have been pleasant to experience while asleep, poor M... but a scene like that with a sleeping person and the business-end of a dog is pure comedy gold!

    As for the well-laid plans for teenage years... that is the parents' prergorative.

    ReplyDelete