Tuesday, May 12, 2009

What year is this?

Sometimes weird things happen. People say things and you just wonder, "what should I say in response?" or "HUH?" or "WTF?"
Yesterday, I was at E's school for a parent conference with M and E's teacher. We wanted to cover general bases; make sure the E from school at least jibes with the E from home. I wanted to make sure that our few summer academic activities covered E's weakest skills and were appropriate for entry into 1st grade. We wanted to let his teacher know that we are interested in his education and want to be involved in it.
While I was at school, E also got to ring the big bell to start off the week. It is an honor reserved for all kindergartners and E was with a bunch of "leftover" kids who didn't get a chance to do it yet this year. I was chatting with a mom as dads put away video cameras, siblings got wrangled into arms, and moms put away their cameras. She asked me why I was there, I said conference, blahblah. She asked if everyone had a conference, and I said no, we scheduled ours independently. She asked why, and I explained. She said that yes, she was concerned about her son's academic performance, and wondered about it. "Although," she says, "I don't worry about his little sister's performance at all."
"Oh," say I, "is she all about preschool and loving it?" Smile, pointless small talk laughter.
"No," "she's never going to need a job, so it doesn't matter. She won't have to support a family."
"HUH?"
"What should I say in response?"
"WTF?"

2 comments:

  1. Oh My God. What year is it? Who is this woman? Poor little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh dear lord, that is frightening. i didn't know people still thought like that anymore!

    ReplyDelete