Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Sleep Tight, Mom

Mwhahahahahah. (Evil genius laugh)
I have done it! I have finally done it! I have found a way to make my children sleep through the whole night. Here is the recipe: awake at 6 AM, 4 hours of run around like monkey summer camp, 1 hour of quiet time, 1 hour of run around like monkey home time, 1.5 hours of late night TBall game, stories and then bedtime. Those two slept all night long, just the way kids are supposed to.
I, on the other hand, was not so lucky. First, at 1 AM, M spoke in his sleep. Not a whole monologue or anything, just this completely clear, relatively loud "E." Strangely, it was in the same tone of voice he uses when he hears E walk into our bedroom at night. So, when I heard it, I assumed E WAS in my room, but he was not. Disoriented, and now awake, I went through my usual routine: get up, pee, rearrange the sheets, move the dog, go back to bed. I was still awake when the curtain in our bedroom, which is on a tension rod that has a mind of its own, suddenly fell on to the floor. Had I been asleep, this would have scared the holy hell out of me. Being as it was, I was treated to M and Clooney having the holy hell scared out of them. I think both of them jumped off the bed. Even in the middle of the night, I am able to laugh at others' mishaps. That's quality character on my part. Nothing like a midnight adrenaline rush to help you get back to sleep.
Finally, around 2, I fell back asleep. And at 6, S came into our room. S is the Rolex of internal clocks and is in our room at the same time (within ten minutes) every morning, regardless of his bedtime. He has this cute(?) routine of climbing over us to say good morning to Clooney. And then whispering inanely to his beloved doggie. Only, S's whisper is actually louder than his talking voice. More like the screaming whisper I use to yell at the kids in public places. I endured that for about 10 minutes until I woke up and came downstairs to start the day.
Hopefully tonight, I can recreate my evil experiment and the boys will sleep soundly. And hopefully, I will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment