Monday, May 25, 2009

An Open Letter Regarding Facebook

When I joined FB, it was really to keep in touch with people--not to find old flames, check up on old classmates, or really 'rediscover' anyone. I did it to communicate with the same people I email, by and large, only more often.
So, this weekend, I exchanged emails with a friend from Chicago. I tried to persuade her to join FB, and she declined, insisting on her "dinosaur" ways. This is the email I sent her, slightly edited, to convince her to join. I have converted it to an open letter to my friends and family to join FB to keep in touch:
Dear Friends,
The thing about FB is this. Yes, it is a gigantic time suck. Guilty guilty guilty. I mean the other day, I actually invested time to take the quiz to see which totally awesome animated film character I am (Edna from The Incredibles) and making lists (5 things which everyone seems to like that I don't: anorexic girls, Hollywood remakes, winter, televised high speed chases, and American Idol)
But, I NEVER spend time looking for old friends, because if they want me they can come and find me.(Good luck spelling my married name, losers from high school!) and I get short, brief updates every day from people, like a 5 minute conversation while dropping the kids off at school. It's more natural than having to remember everything I've done for the last 6 months, condense it into letter/email and sending it off. Like, for example, MC (who I NEVER see or talk to unless college friends are getting married) has a massive nesting instinct at the start of her third trimester. And that's cute. I feel involved. It's also voyeuristic--I know NOTHING about another friend, LSJ, except that 1. her wedding pictures were gorgeous and 2. she just joined a Professional Women's Group on FB. So. There ya go. I always have photos on my page, for one thing. You can also find critical information about me revealed through quizes: which zoo animals do I like? I know you're wondering. The answer is Okapis--find out why on my FB page...., my favorite smells: plumeria, beach smell, bleach...You can also find non-essential information like what my hippie name is, or what my birthdate reveals about me, what character from The Office I am like.
Also, don't you dare join Twitter. I will not read something, no matter how profound, if it is called a tweet.
Love,
J

No comments:

Post a Comment