Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Kids' Weekend: Day 4

Today was E's turn to stay home. We went to the Dr. this morning to verify that he had an ear infection. Of course, they believe that since the last two ear infections were resistant to antibiotics, that he has to take a super-antibiotic which is going to upset his digestive system (ahem) and costs over $100! Yeah, no health care reform necessary. $100 for an ear infection....

So, I took him out to lunch afterward and spent some time reading stories. When he's one on one without his brother, he's so much like the toddler he once was--sweet and earnest and cute. Then, we bring his brother back into the picture, and it's like that scene from Alien when the creature leaps out of that guy's chest. Freaky, unexpected, and a little slimy. What is it with siblings?

Even now, my sister and I talk every day on the phone. We offer and accept advice and ideas from one another. We usually respect and at least like one another's taste. But something happens when we get together. Regression, aggression? Maybe it's because we fall into roles of first born and second born, where I get bossy and she gets petulant. But it's often tense.

I once read in Time that siblings define who we are even more than our parents. I wonder if that's good or bad for my boys. E is, on his own, such a bright, interesting and engaging child. S is funny and sweet and thoughtful (he offered M his last cookie last night after dinner. AWWW). Together, it's awful. E is impatient and bossy and dismissive. He's often even plain out mean. S is physical and aggressive in retaliation (and most often, in fairness, it is retaliation). If we could choose our own families would it be different? Would we choose people with whom we constantly agree?

I hope the boys work it out. I hope they learn to bring out the best in each other, rather than the absolute worst.

On a lighter note, I hope it doesn't rain until afternoon tomorrow. I really want to walk outside tomorrow. I hope this is the last blast of winter we have to deal with. I hope I can get my house in order for our house guest on Friday.

I am absolutely, by the way, throwing out my last Gourmet magazine. I made a spaghetti and meatball recipe that took FOREVER today and it received lukewarm reviews at best. The boys didn't eat it at all, and M ate it, but gave it a meh followed by a thumbs down after it "failed to sit right" after dinner. This failure, coupled with the $78 veal brisket leads me to think I am better off on my own, or with the aid of Rachael Ray. At least with her help, I only spend 30 minutes on a failure! Thank God the diet tonic water was back on the shelf today. I don't think I could have stomached the clean up of a second Italian meal disaster without it.

On that note...it's 8 PM and time for bed. I figure lots of rest will help me fight off the Ebola the kids have.

2 comments:

  1. I did not renew my gourmet magazine a couple of years ago. Everything looks and sounds delicious. But far too time consuming and don't turn out very Gourmet. I think I lake the chef skills needed to pull them off.

    Rain Rain go away....I want to go outside today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounded like you were talking about my boys. Apart, sweet and easy. Together: it's like they're competing for the role of satan. go figure.

    ReplyDelete