Friday, January 23, 2009

Mullet Mania

I woke up this morning with this vague discontent, a slight case of the blues, and in the early morning fog of awakening, couldn't quite place why I felt that way. I sat up, and the swing of my hair instantly reminded me: I got a bad haircut yesterday.
I know. Obama worked on a failed economy, splintered diplomacy, two wars, and really a world on the brink of total collapse. I got a bad haircut. But has this forum ever really been about real problems? I think not. So, my haircut is, essentially, a mullet. The business in the front is down to my earlobes, and the party in the back is past my shoulders. This haircut was bad enough to prompt M to actually notice. It's never good when your husband notices a haircut. Also, I am not sure what to do about it. I am not reluctant to go tell my stylist that I don't care for it, I just don't think there's going to be any solution to the problem except for taking a weed whacker to the back--and really I don't want to take so much length off the hair.
All of this happened because I told her my hair was growing in like the famed "Rachel" haircut of the 90s from Friends. So instead of having a longitudinal issue with my hair, my problems are now latitudinal. This sucks.
She did, however, give an awesome eyebrow wax. As my sister says, there's nothing quite so disconcerting as empowering some one else to rip off part of your eyebrows while you can't see a thing. EP feels so helpless, in fact, that her first reaction upon being handed the mirror to check things out, is relief--she's always afraid she'll pick up the mirror and see her eyebrows have been Whoopi Goldberg'd. But this wax wasn't just a relief, it was downright thorough. Natural, and you know, not super thin and arched. My focus with my eyebrows is this: I have a high forehead. Not just sort of, I have a Omaha Beach up there. If the eyebrows get super thin, which they have in the past, they look completely out of scale. Like a Hitler moustache on an elephant. I need some substantial above-eye fur. So that worked out well, at least. Although hell--it does NOTHING to distract from the mullet mayhem.
I'm sorry I haven't posted much this week. I have been on a cleaning binge, followed by an exercise bender. Which I suppose is not the worst kind of bender there is, but nonetheless has been a tremendous time suck for me. Damn weight loss goals. Damn failed weight loss goals. Maybe if I trim off the rest of this freaking haircut, I could lose a half pound or so...

2 comments:

  1. I too realize that the world is a mess and we should keep things in perspective, but a bad hair cut is extremely tramatic. I always say: when my hair is good, my day is good. So, I feel for you. Hope you figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bummer. I have to see the hair now. I have also been on a cleaning binge due to the dust factor. Floors are beautiful but I didn't fully realize that dust levels would be an inch thick.

    ReplyDelete