Thursday, January 8, 2009

What will I do today?

Yesterday, as I was walking S into school, a fellow mom remarked, "S is so funny. You must spend every day with him laughing and having fun."
Really? You could have started conversation with the tried and true--"some weather..." "did you see the game last night?" "Has any one ever told you you have beautiful eyes?" I mean anything seemed more reasonable than spending all day laughing and having fun.
Not that S is a bad kid. I probably spend more time with him having fun than a lot of other moms spend with their kids. I DO, in fact, enjoy his company most of the time. I often find his strange comments amusing. His rubber face does have some comedic value. But spending every day in gleeful bliss with my child seems more like a commercial for Sandals All-inclusive Family Resorts than actual life.
How could a real-life mom with two real-life children actually think that her cohorts, however many there may be, spend their days in commercial-quality happiness? Was she feverish? Confused? Outright nuts?
Yah, life is a laugh-a-minute, all right. We have fun, sure. I laugh (most often AT my children rather than WITH them) but still. My kids do and say funny stuff. But, mostly there's a lot of business. Chores, bribing, whining, the occasionally temper tantrum. Also, what kind of Mrs. Cleaver mom does she think I am? Is she totally unobservant? I'm a freaking train wreck every day when I see her. Often still partly-pajama'd. Always running late. Harried. What possible evidence does she have that could make her think I am the kind of mom who can sit at home and laugh with my son? Hello?
I mean NOBODY who's married would come up to another married woman and say, "your life must be completely perfect. Your husband must be neat, tidy, talented in the kitchen, wealthy, charming, doting, have perfectly discreet bodily functions, and have the sexual prowess of Sting.*" I mean NOBODY is that deluded.
My kids are great. My husband's great. We're not the cover art for Functional Family Today or anything. But, we're good. We're happy. Things are nice.
But, if any one is wondering what I do all day every day, it is not constant slow-mo, sitcom laughter with S. Well, at least not most days.

*There seems to be a collective playgroup fantasy about MT's hubby. It's possible one of the playgroup moms HAS approached MT with this comment.

1 comment:

  1. Pardon me while I go have a laugh-fest with my hilarious 2-year-old.

    ReplyDelete