Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A Three Hour Tour...

OK.
Just got back from family cruise to Mexico. We thought it would be fun this year to try again after our Mayan mishap from last year.
Here's a riddle: What do you get when you sign up for a discount cruise?
A: A discount cruise!
Which, in case you are wondering, is like a regular cruise except it costs less and you get less. (Which at least, is an agreeable balance.) The crew is a little less polite, the food is a little less yummy, the ammenities are a little less refined, the passengers are a little more revolting.
We sailed to Mexico on Thursday and Friday and enjoyed nice weather and relaxation. My kids had fun with the kiddie camp and I ran up a healthy bar tab. Saturday, we walked around Cozumel some, but mostly, we just sat by the pool and soaked up the beautiful weather. But after that, things went south. We sailed Saturday night, and from about bedtime Saturday to about 11 PM Sunday, we were in crappy, high seas. Unfortunately, ship building (at least of the passenger variety) didn't seem to advance much from the days of the Titanic to when the un-glamorous Holiday was built. So, I tell you, a dinghy is more stable than this bad boy. I have been on big boats, little boats, cruise ships of all varieties, Atlantic, Pacific, freshwater, rivers. I have never in my life been sea sick. Until Sunday, when I puked. I mean, there were people bootin' all over the place--stair wells, common bathrooms, I could hear people heavin from my closed cabin. Brutal.
Other than that, though. My kids were good, I never got sick from the food, the overall experience a 100% improvement over last year.
In other news, I have taken pity upon the neighborhood cat. It is freezing here, and he lives outside. The cat is in the house. I am having Dr. Seuss fantasies about Thing 1 and Thing 2 leaping out and destroying the place.

1 comment:

  1. OK, maybe we won't book that cruise for spring break! :)

    ReplyDelete