Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Big Picture Parenting

Yesterday, I had my monthly visit with the Rabbi. Which, now that I say it like that sounds much like a euphemism for a period. But, no, I actually had a visit with our Rabbi. It was a fascinating conversation for me, anyway. We talked of violence and war in the Middle East. We talked of politics of peace and change, we talked of Jewish culture and faith, and of parenting and participating meaningfully in our world.
He is a very thoughtful man. And I love that in many of our conversations, he turns to parable and metaphor. His most interesting ideas often begin with, "let me tell you a story..." I jokingly tell him that he should charge by the hour. Because for years, I certainly paid by the hour for the kind of self examination our discussions prompt!
Our visits are combination analysis and education for me. I enjoy the lessons he can impart as a parent of children older than mine, as a person older than I, wiser than I, and far more educated in the interactions of "spirit" and "mind" than I. Though (and this will surprise you) I do not consider myself religious, I do look forward to the soul "exercises" our conferences provoke. I always leave his study wanting to be a better person, do better deeds, think better thoughts.
Of the rabbis I have visited with, he is the most accessible, the most human. And I am intrigued by the dichotomy of his spiritual obligations as a public Jew, as the leader and role model for a congregation, and the practical obstacles to a traditional Jewish life that he faces living in Mobile, Alabama. (Not that I am insulting Mobile, here) But, this is not exactly a hub of Jewish culture.
This month, I was particularly focused on my responsibility, my charge as a Jewish parent. I brought with me thoughts about spiritual and cultural identity, raising Jewish children in Christian schools, about the complexities and ambivalence I have in faith, and whether these are my personal baggage, or concerns I should share with my children. And when.
I repeatedly expressed my concern about this "big picture" issue of family and faith. I was very preoccupied with the spiritual health and confidence and safety of my children.
And then I realized, S's class had been let out for over an hour. And I had no idea where he was.
Sometimes, excellent parenting lies in the details.

1 comment:

  1. Oh the days when my mom forgot to get me from school. It happened once and is my biggest nightmare. It was Kindergarten and I have never forgotten. That is why when I was running five minutes late Monday for pickup I thought I was going to have a heart attack or a bad case of road rage. Then I get there and the kids are like "where have you been". There are cars still picking up I say. And Jackson was at the Dr. so there. Don't make me feel bad. I am only one person.

    ReplyDelete