Sunday, April 19, 2009

Summer on the Horizon

So, I'm looking at the calendar, and I don't want to alarm any one, but summer is four, count 'em four weeks away. My blood pressure is rising. I can feel it. M and I already started plans for a week at the beach, and then back to CA for ten days or so, but there are a lot of empty days on that calendar! Do you think S is too young for 10 weeks or so of sleepaway camp? I'm just saying, living independently could give him some confidence, help get him ready for moving away to college.
Yesterday, we watched the1970s original Escape to Witch Mountain with the boys. First off, movie expectations were so much lower then. The special effects were, without exaggeration, not as sophisticated as the local weatherman's animated map. The performances from the kid actors were earnest, but simplistic, in that Leave it to Beaver kind of way. I thought, that despite the camp factor, it was a cute little movie. The bad guys were comically bungling, and not particularly menacing, the "escape" was more like an exciting car ride, when the kids used their telekinesis, we could see the string used to create the effect.
And yet.
S found the movie boring, which I get. I think telepathic aliens might be a bit of a comprehension stretch for a four year old. And E was up all night with nightmares...Huh? He came in my room three times last night, saying he had "Witch Mountain" nightmares. Of poorly animated flying Winnebagos? Huh? You never know what's going to strike your kids strangely.
Today threatens rain, and at 8 AM, the kids have already been back from Waffle House for an hour. I am hoping for another movie today, laundry, relaxation, and an early school-night bedtime.
And, in a small triumph--I found chaise lounges for the pool yesterday!
Let me say, Woo-Hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment